Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Patients, A grateful father and a grateful husband, Supplies, How you can help

Patient 2 days post Mitral Valve Replacement
Their stories are all very similar- Rheumatic Heart Disease, a three or four year history of progressive shortness of breath, increasing symptoms of chest pain on exertion, and fainting spells.  Most have had one or two hospital admissions in the past year for congestive heart failure.  They are all on lasix and other drugs to optimize blood pressure and heart function, an attempt to help them to have some semblance of a normal life.  About one-third of the patients we have operated on during the past week have had a prior stroke, some of which completely resolve and some having residual deficits. Most have ranged in age from their late teen to late 20s.  







Today, we operated on a twenty-two-year-old that traveled here from Southern Sudan.
Post op transport of Patient from Southern Sudan to ICU

Dr White and team before time out










On Monday, we did two cases.  As I walked out of the surgical building at about 8pm, I was stopped by two men, one in his 20s and the other in his 40s.   One of the men approached me and said, “Excuse me, did you operate on Andrew?”  “Yes, I was there with the team,” I replied, “He did fine!  What a handsome young man.”   The man told me he was Andrew’s father; he shook my hand, thanked me, and said, “God bless you.” He had tears in his eyes.  He asked if he could take my picture.   I told him that I have 3 sons and two daughters.  The younger man then said, “Benetine is my wife.”  Benetine was the first patient we operated on, who had a mitral valve replacement.  More thank yous, more pictures together.  He told me about their daughters; then there was another handshake and a hug.  

A grateful  husband and a  grateful father 

Holly and I have been planning this trip for months. I know I told her at least once a day since January, “All of our clothes and personal items must go in our carry-on luggage.
We will each have one back- pack and a personal item.  We are allowed 2 checked bags each, not to exceed 61 linear inches. Each can weigh up to 50 pounds.  Those checked bags will only contain medical supplies.” 



"Pump room" at Tenwek where Perfusion Supplies are stored
There have been a series of emails to Tenwek team members since January, to learn what supplies are most needed.  Valve suture, chest wires, various medications, perfusion connectors, ISTAT blood test cartridges, and cardioplegia sets topped the list. One month ago, I learned about a guy from Mississippi and another from Tennessee that were on their way to Tenwek.  Both agreed to let me send supplies in one of their checked bags, which I FedExed to them before their departure. 



Holly’s and my bags totaled 197 pounds. 


Daniel preparing sterile instruments and suture 
Many items from many people:  Reed Quinn, Kathy Black, and Bob Kramer, helped me to get valve suture and chest wires from MAP International. Patti Cummings, from Sorin, gave me  donated tubing connectors.  Abbott Laboratories donated blood test cartridges. Gio Cercere lent me an ACT machine and gave me a box of test cartridges. Mike Fitzhenry provided donated connectors from Terumo. 

I have also received about 20 perfusion packs, oxygenators, and cardioplegia sets from others.  These items are currently stored in my barn, to be shipped at a later date.


Back table with donated suture 
It takes a lot of supplies to do an open-heart procedure.  Most of the basic supplies, which are needed, are supplied by Tenwek Hospital.  However, certain supplies are expensive and not available locally (such as some of the suture and supplies for cardiopulmonary bypass).

I wish that all of those that donated could have witnessed my exchange yesterday with that father and that husband.  All of us doing a little, with God’s help, can bring about a life-changing miracle for someone 8,000 miles away from our homes.

If you would like to help support Tenwek’s cardiac program, you can make a donation to the 501-C3, non-profit organization Samaritan’s Purse, to cover the costs of shipping supplies.  Please send a donation to:

Samaritan’s Purse, PO Box 3000,  Boone, NC 28607. 
Make out checks to “World Medical Missions.” 
On the memo line, please write “030230” 
I hope that you will be able to participate.  If you wish to visit the Samaritan’s Purse website to learn more about World Medical Missions, please visit http://www.samaritanspurse.org/what-we-do/medical/       Thank you.



 









No comments:

Post a Comment